Area Manager, Roads
Administrative Officer R24
An eligibility list may be established.
Your organizational abilities will be valued in this independent key role
The primary function of the district is to ensure the safe and efficient movement of goods, services and people in a given geographical area. The district administers the highways maintenance agreements, portions of the rehabilitation and capital – program, development services, and avalanche programs and administrative support. The operations of each district support the growth and development of the provincial economy. District operations are the direct link between the ministry and the public/stakeholders providing a key transportation link in a multi-model environment.
In this role you will identify overall program priorities and to ensure the preservation and improvement of the road infrastructure for the safety and convenience of the travelling public. In unison with the Operations Manager, the Area Manager acts as the local ministry representative with the stakeholders on highway operations related issued and customer service delivery within their assigned area. The Area Manager oversees, audits and monitors road maintenance programs to ensure the work carried out by the Highways Maintenance Contractor is in accordance with the contractual agreement.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Lisa.Canfield@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Professional Engineer and one year of related experience; OR,
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the field of civil engineering, structural engineering, construction technology, surveying, geology, geography, or project management. and one-year related experience; OR,
- Diploma from a recognized Institute of Technology (e.g. Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC) in the field of civil engineering, structural engineering, construction technology, surveying, geology, geography, or project management and two years related experience; OR,
- Grade 12 (or GED) and a minimum of three related experience;
- Valid Class 5 BC Drivers license in good standing;
Related experience must include all of the following:
- Experience in highway construction and/or maintenance,
- Experience in project management and contract management,
- Experience in traffic management surveying or audit processes, procedures and practices.
“Years related experience” mean the full aggregate year (1827 hours/year.)
- Area Manager Roads Certificate of Completion required through BCIT and MOTI
- Diploma in a related field of study and three years related experience
- Grade 12 (or GED) and five years related experience
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: (Application requirement options and the corresponding screening process)
Cover letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire (COMPREHENSIVE): YES – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.