Management Band 3
Regular, Full-Time – Burnaby
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of two branches of Government responsible for the wholesale distribution and retail sale of beverage alcohol and non-medical cannabis. In 2018/19 the LDB recorded gross sales of $3.6 billion, generating a net income of $1.104 billion that supported vital public services including health care and education. It has a workforce of approximately 4600 full- and part-time employees working across 197 BC Liquor Stores, 6 BC Cannabis Stores (online and stand alone), a Head Office, three Wholesale Customer Centres and three Distribution Centres. The LDB is led by a General Manager and CEO who is responsible for administering the Liquor Distribution Act and the Cannabis Distribution Act, subject to direction from the Minister. As part of BC’s mixed-model retail system for liquor and non-medical cannabis, the LDB is committed to providing customers with an enhanced shopping environment, an expansive product selection and a high level of service.
The Regional Manager, in an assigned area, is accountable for providing leadership and direction, moving initiatives forward, controlling costs and maximizing revenue generated by BC Liquor Stores. The Regional Manager ensures that store managers and leadership teams achieve the objectives and sales targets of the Liquor Distribution Branch and is responsible for an operating budgets ranging up to $11,300,000. Reporting directly to the Regional Manager are up to 30 store managers and up to 280 store staff. The Regional Manager is also responsible for monitoring the operation of agency stores in the assigned areas.
The Regional Manager continuously improves existing services and processes to drive service excellence, increase profitability and ensure alignment with LDB’s strategic goals and operating plans. The Regional Manager demonstrates the highest level of leadership and ethical standards and drives store leadership teams to continually achieve a higher standard by providing effective coaching, mentoring and guidance.
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications, and competencies.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process.
Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
An eligibility list for permanent or temporary future opportunities may be established. This position is excluded from union membership.
A criminal record check is required. A valid BC Drivers License is required. Successful completion of Serving it Right ™ certificate is required.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Director, Store Operations, Jonathan Castaneto at 604-252-8598. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Visit Careers at: www.bcldb.com
Education and Experience:
Degree, diploma or certificate in business or retail management with a minimum of five years of recent, related experience OR a minimum of six years of recent related experience:
Recent, related experience must include:
- Managerial experience in positions of progressive responsibility managing a retail operation with sales in excess of $10 million.
- Experience in a multi-facetted and changing environment providing leadership and coaching to support the delivery of strategic results.
- Experience in implementing sales initiatives, sales metrics and group/individual goals.
Preference may be given to candidates with experience over seeing a multi-unit retail operation.
- Marketing, Loss Prevention, Supply Chain, Financial Reporting and Budgeting.
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and business acumen to support the delivery of services, solutions and results.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly adapt to changing environments and possess expertise and confidence to lead change.
- Demonstrated ability to consult, develop and maintain positive working relationships with external and internal customers/clients and government stakeholders.
- Excellent ability to facilitate dialogue and resolution of complex issues with a wide variety of stakeholders, including senior executives.
- Excellent issue management skills.
- Proven ability demonstrating good judgement and organizational skills and possess effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities; ability to lead, direct and develop a team effectively.