1.00 FTE – District Indigenous Learning Coordinator
CONTINUING: September 1, 2018
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Work closely with the District Indigenous Support Workers as part of the Indigenous Learning Services Department
- Support classroom teachers with the embedding of Aboriginal understanding and perspectives in student learning experiences for all students, K-12
- Support classroom teachers with finding and/or designing resource materials that relate to the renewed curriculum expectations regarding the inclusion of Aboriginal histories, understanding and perspectives in learning opportunities for students.
- Provide guidance and learning regarding Aboriginal protocols
- Facilitate on-going connections with Indigenous communities, organizations and individuals in our region
- Act as a liaison between school, home, and community services providers
- Teach/facilitate approved curriculum and plan and provide related professional development opportunities
- Work closely with the Director of Instruction, Learning Services, to support the implementation of the goals and strategic directions outlined by the Indigenous Learning Services Department
- BC Certification with Bachelor of Education
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with aboriginal students and families in an educational and cultural context, including teaching and facilitation
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Aboriginal educational resources and an understanding of Aboriginal student and family cultural needs
- Previous successful experience in a similar role preferred
- Ongoing involvement with Aboriginal culture and traditions
- Aboriginal ancestry preferred
- Demonstrated team leadership skills
- Strong effective communication, team building and conflict resolution skills
- Knowledge of renewed curriculum expectations regarding the inclusion of Aboriginal understanding and perspectives into learning opportunities for students.
Note: The successful candidate will require a valid driver’s license and vehicle.
For further information, contact Director of Instruction-Learning Services, Mrs. Kristi Crowe, at (250) 368-2234.
Applications should be sent to Mrs. Marcy VanKoughnett, Assistant Superintendent – Human Resources, School District No. 20 (Kootenay-Columbia) by 12:00 (Noon), Monday, June 4, 2018.
Please note we only accept online applications. Please apply online through www.makeafuture.ca/kootenay-columbia
Applicants agree to confidential reference checks, including all previous employers.
We appreciate your interest but regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.