The First Nations Education Steering Committee (FNESC) is an independent society led by a strong and diverse board of over 100 First Nations community representatives. FNESC is committed to improving education for all First Nations students in BC. FNESC works in partnership with the First Nations School Association (FNSA), and the Indigenous Adult Higher Learning Association (IAHLA), as well as other partner organizations.
Since its establishment in 1992, FNESC has worked to communicate the priorities of BC First Nations to the federal and provincial governments and to support First Nations communities in working together to advance education issues. Communications, research, partnership-building and advocacy are all central to FNESC’s activities.
We are currently searching for a Receptions to join our team and play a key role in supporting our commitment to improve education for all First Nation students in BC.
As a member of the FNESC administrative team the Receptionist will primarily provide administrative services and support for FNESC front desk and secondary administrative support to the Programs Officer. The receptionist is the initial point of contact for visitors including government officials, Board members, community members, employees, vendors and business partners. As such, the receptionist is a customer service role and maintaining a positive visitor experience is essential. Additionally, the receptionist contributes to the effective administration of office processes such as mail delivery and shipping, document and office equipment management, photocopying, data entry, additional administrative support and liaising with facilities and building management.
Examples of Duties and responsibilities:
- Receive, direct and relay telephone messages and fax messages. To ensure that all phone enquiries are responded to in a polite and professional manner regardless of the situation.
- Greet, assist and/or direct visitors in a courteous and professional manner.
- Maintain office supplies.
- Provide administrative support to the Programs Officer.
- Complete data entry of program projects.
- Manage information and tracking system which includes recording, logging and distribution of incoming documents and correspondence.
- Assist with the dissemination of information including the distribution of program allocation letters and contribution agreements.
- Provide additional administrative support as required in the areas of data entry, faxing, filing, couriers, mail, photocopying etc. as required.
- Assist in the coordination of workshops, meetings and conferences. Assist with the facilitation of FNESC meetings, events, workshops and conferences and to assist with the maintenance of workflows for these events. To participate in working group teams which will assist in the facilitation of these events, and to undertake any associated duties as required.
- Administer the Joe Mathias Scholarship fund.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills and demonstration of a consistent pleasant and professional demeanour;
- Good organizational and office administration skills;
- An ability to multi-task, be flexible and work well within a busy office environment;
- demonstrated ability to effectively liaise and communicate both orally and in writing, while using discretion and tact with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders Communicates at a professional level and is courteous, demonstrate tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work effectively on a team and get along well with others;
- Proficient skills in the use of Microsoft Office, multiline telephones;
- Strong data entry skills and attention to detail;
- Capable of lifting and carrying 40 Ib. boxes;
- Dependability and reliability.
Requirements of the position:
- A minimum of Grade 12 education;
- A minimum of one year clerical and/or secretarial experience in an office environment;
- Ideally an understanding of First Nations history and culture, and some knowledge of education issues;
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The office hours and hours of employment will be Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm with a one hour break for lunch. Occasional work outside of those hours will be required.
FNESC Office, West Vancouver, BC
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org