Supervisor – Haney
The Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) is one of two branches of Government responsible for the wholesale distribution and retail sale of beverage alcohol and non-medical cannabis. In 2018/19 the LDB recorded gross sales of $3.6 billion, generating a net income of $1.104 billion that supported vital public services including health care and education. It has a workforce of approximately 4600 full- and part-time employees working across 197 BC Liquor Stores, seven BC Cannabis Stores (online and stand alone), a Head Office, three Wholesale Customer Centres and three Distribution Centres. The LDB is led by a General Manager and CEO who is responsible for administering the Liquor Distribution Act and the Cannabis Distribution Act, subject to direction from the Minister. As part of BC’s mixed-model retail system for liquor and non-medical cannabis, the LDB is committed to providing customers with an enhanced shopping environment, an expansive product selection and a high level of service.
Under the general supervision of the Store Manager, the Supervisor assists in all facets of the management of a major retail operation, by providing leadership and direction, controlling costs and maximizing revenue. Responsibilities include ensuring good customer relations and demonstrating initiative in merchandising techniques in order to provide exemplary customer service. The Supervisor is also responsible for assisting in the control of the operation, building and contents, supervision of staff, developing teamwork, maintaining good staff morale, controlling employment costs and analyzing and producing reports. The position may also assist in developing and implementing operational plans which include controlling stock levels and stock variance control and ensuring acceptable levels of security in the store for both staff and physical assets. The Supervisor is expected to contribute to improve the Branch image by assisting in providing direction in support of Branch policies. The Supervisor is also involved in training staff, scheduling assignments, participating as required in all store duties, and may be involved in labor relations matters. Shift work is involved.
This position may require lifting liquor cases up to 50 lbs. to varying heights, standing at a cash register for extended periods of time and performing warehouse duties, including frequent bending and standing. Incumbents may also operate a variety of mechanical and hand-operated equipment. Contact with the public and clerical duties are also critical components of this position.
Please review the attached job description for a complete list of duties, qualifications, and competencies. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants must submit a cover letter and resume clearly identifying how they meet the qualifications necessary for this position. This information will be used as part of the selection process. Please note that a cover letter is a requirement for this competition.
Lesser qualified candidates may be considered.
A criminal record check will be required. An eligibility list may be established.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Human Resources by phone at 604 252 8565. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
Only applications submitted using the BC Public Service Recruitment System on this website will be accepted.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
Visit Careers at http://www.bcldb.com/about/careers
I certify that all information submitted is true, complete and correct. I understand that any information provided by me in my application, any assessment documents or processes and/or an interview that is found to be false or misrepresented in any respect, may eliminate me from further consideration for employment or may result in my dismissal.
To be considered for this position, applicants must clearly indicate that they have the following
- 1 year recent supervisory experience in a customer facing, service oriented environment with $1 million in annual sales, with direct accountability for achieving and driving sales.
- An equivalent combination of education, and experience will be considered : 6 months supervisory experience plus the successful completion of a leadership or supervisory course is the equivalent of 1 year of supervisory experience.
Experience with visual presentation and KPI’s preferred
*Recent experience is defined as occurring within the past 5 years.
• Point of Sale and/or Inventory Management system applications.
- Excellent service orientation and communication skills with the ability to communicate with customers using a variety of mediums.
- Ability to make decisions with integrity that support organizational guidelines and makes good business sense.
- Ability to resolve customer concerns in a diplomatic manner and to engage customers in a friendly and professional manner.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize to efficiently and effectively handle daily responsibilities and ensure presentation standards are maintained.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership and provide excellent training and coaching to team members
In addition to the above required qualifications, applicants must have :
- Working knowledge of ‘retail systems’. This includes Point of Sale and Inventory Management applications.
- Excellent training skills.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in dealing with the public
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Diploma or certificate in Retail or Business Management, preferred.
“Successful completion of Serving It Right™ certification will be required prior to confirmation of any appointments of this position”.