Scientific/Technical Officer R24
An eligibility list may be established.
An opportunity to contribute your valued expertise
In this position you will provide specialist advice to senior ministry decision makers, and to technical and professional staff in the ministry, sector or industry on the use and interpretation of corporate data set(s). To maximize the potential of GIS and related geospatial and information technologies to support the business objectives of the program and its clients.
The capital of British Columbia, Victoria is a beautiful city, with beautiful beaches and harbours, and a variety of provincial parks to explore. Located on Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a bustling downtown scene and has a wide range of restaurants and entertainment venues to choose from.
The BC Public Service is an award winning employer and offers employees competitive benefits, amazing learning opportunities and a chance to engage in rewarding work with exciting career development opportunities. For more information, please see What We Offer.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Todd Evans – Todd.Evans@gov.bc.ca DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website. If you are still experiencing technical difficulty applying for a competition, please send an e-mail to BCPSA.Hiring.Centre@gov.bc.ca, before the stated closing time, and we will respond as soon as possible to assist you.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education and experience as outlined below:
- Degree in geomatics, resource management, geography, computer science or related area. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience developing and managing large spatial and attribute data sets and experience with database management tools and applications.
- Experience developing methodologies and performing custom geo-spatial data modelling and complex analysis and interpretations.
- Experience in leading, mentoring and supervising staff and/or contracted resources (2 years’ experience preferred).
- Experience developing policy and/or standards documents (2 years’ experience preferred).
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software (ArcMap) and ArcGIS Online applications (2 years’ experience preferred).
- Preference may be given to applicants who have Certification as Project Management Professional (PMP).
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover Letter: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed.
Resume: YES – A resume is required as part of your application, however, it may not be used for initial shortlisting purposes.
Questionnaire: YES (COMPREHENSIVE) – As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.