Pacific Blue Cross has been British Columbia’s leading benefits provider for 75 years. We are an independent, not-for-profit society with strong roots in BC’s health care system. Together with our subsidiary BC Life, we provide health, dental, life, disability and travel coverage for approximately 1.5 million British Columbians through employee group plans and through individual plans for those who do not have coverage with their employers.
We are fueled by a commitment to keep health care sustainable for all British Columbians. Through our Community Connection Health Foundation, we also provide funding to community organizations with a focus on alleviating mental illness and chronic disease. We’re interested in finding people who want to make a difference and who will take advantage of every opportunity to build a career with us.
Pacific Blue Cross offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, fitness programs, and an onsite gym and cafeteria. Our workplace culture values health and wellness, continuing education, environmental sustainability and giving back to the community.
We are currently recruiting for a temporary, up to 12 months, Trainer to join our Learning and Engagement team. The role will be located at our head office in Burnaby, BC.
Design, Coordination and Delivery of Formal Learning and Development Programs
Designs and develops overall training curriculum and individual training modules for assigned business units and projects using accredited instructional design principles and techniques, ensures learning outcomes are consistent with strategic objectives and match department and job requirements by:
- identifying and assessing learning needs of individual employees or groups of employees through task and functional analysis, formal needs analysis and the application of learning assessment tools; interprets results and identifies gaps between existing and required knowledge levels;
- selecting training methodology most appropriate to the content such as classroom, workshop, online, experiential or interactive approaches including the use of imaginative or creative techniques;
- conducting literature and materials searches, consulting with subject matter experts and authoring learning support resources such as lesson plans, participant and instructor guides, on-line demos, simulation and audio-visual aids using a variety of media such as Intermediate Word, Basic Visio, Basic PowerPoint and Captivate 3;
- developing individual learning evaluation tools such as quizzes, formal examinations or case studies;
- piloting learning approaches, content and assessment processes, analyzing results and modifying delivery, content or assessment as required.
- Coordinates, delivers and evaluates established learning and development programs to ensure a solid knowledge base is provided to new PBC employees and to ensure a continuing high level of skills in seasoned employees is maintained and enhanced by:
Coordinates, delivers and evaluates established learning and development programs to ensure a solid knowledge base is provided to new PBC employees and to ensure a continuing high level of skills in seasoned employees is maintained and enhanced by:
- organizing class logistics including compiling materials, booking locations and securing learning resources;
- delivering established training programs;
- providing ongoing feedback, coaching and support throughout course execution to motivate learning, provide a positive and proactive environment, foster participation, facilitate student interactions and keep participants focused and on time;
- evaluating employee knowledge following course execution through a variety of formal and informal testing procedures and following up to ensure employee success in applying skills to on-the-job applications;
- recording successful achievement of learning outcomes by students and providing learner assessments to managers;
- evaluating course and program effectiveness by reviewing employee and manager feedback on course content and format, discussing changes in course design with colleagues and managers, and implementing revisions.
Creates and maintains performance support resources such as job aids, online manuals and reference centres to supplement formal learning initiatives, improve on-the-job performance and enhance problem solving and critical thinking skills; identifies ongoing challenges in skills application and recommends remedial action or change in procedures; consults with and provides input to supervisors and managers on employee progress, achievements and challenges to recognize and reward success or implement remedial learning plans as students move from classroom to on-the-job environments
Develops and delivers end user training to compliment and support the implementation of new systems and to integrate new processes into existing roles and functions.
Provides training support to external clients in the use of online tools and procedures.
Maintains up to date knowledge of adult learning practices, policies, procedures and system requirements through continuous learning and professional development initiatives.
General Department and Team Support
Tracks statistical information on trainee participation and outcomes by entering or updating data on existing spreadsheets or checklists.
Identifies the potential for improving existing procedures, eliminating duplication of effort and increasing productivity and makes related recommendations to business unit supervisors, team leaders, project leaders and subject matter experts.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Instructor Development Certificate Program from the Justice Institute of BC (4 core courses, 6 electives = 105 hours) or equivalent
- Intermediate Word
- Typing 40 wpm
- Proficiency in the use of Intermediate Word, Basic Excel, Basic Visio, Basic Powerpoint and Captivate 3
- Minimum of three years’ experience in developing course curriculum and providing formal training and instruction to adult learners in a classroom environment
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short listed candidates will be contacted.