Title: Advisor- Volunteer Experience & Engagement
Location: BC Canada
Employment status: Temporary, full time
Salary band: $52,103-$65,129
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Advisor- Volunteer Experience & Engagement.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace
Collaborating with the Senior Manager Volunteer Experience and Engagement (VEE) the Volunteer Experience & Engagement (VEE) Advisor works in conjunction with geographic program and service teams to build and support volunteer capacity, and to work to enhance the experience and engagement of volunteers. The VEE Advisor supports various facets of the volunteer resource management cycle including, but not limited to sourcing, orientation, onboarding, engagement, and recognition of volunteers. The VEE Advisor also assists with various volunteer-related projects and committees; and supports and advises a team of VEE volunteers and coordinators to carry out various volunteer activities throughout the province.
The Canadian Red Cross helps people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and supports them in strengthening their resilience. To support the strategic direction and mission of the Red Cross this requires the role of VEE Advisor to be adaptable as lessons are learned and priorities change. As an essential member of the VEE team, under the umbrella of the People Services team, the VEE Advisor will demonstrate team leadership, flexibility, versatility, and change leadership to support the success of the organization.
In this role, you will:
- Setting up, updating, and organizing systems, programs, and environments to operate, report and track team projects and initiatives in conjunction with local and national planning outcomes.
Onboards and orientates new program staff and lead volunteers to develop their knowledge and understanding of the function of the VEE team and best practices. Identifies levels of support available, and tools, and resources to build volunteerism within their programs.
- Meets with new volunteer candidates that may not meet the organizational criteria to volunteer and provides direction in determining next steps and Oversees summer youth placements, providing leadership and guidance on responsibilities, assigned tasks and project involvement.
- Works with the VEE Team and program team members to support activities related to engagement of volunteers based on the Volunteer Engagement Strategy of the CRC.
- Oversees tracking mechanism to evaluate the outcome of volunteer performance feedback forms received after a response/deployment; and works with the VEE Coordinators to ensure recommendations provided to the program coordinators has been implemented.
- Works with the VEE Senior Manager, in conjunction with VEE Coordinators and VEE volunteers to support the implementation and evaluation of target sourcing activities within the province and when necessary, adapt national strategies and sourcing tools towards a targeted approach to attract and retain the volume of volunteers needed to meet workforce planning metrics.
- Evaluates volunteer sourcing strategies, submits recommendations to VEE Senior Manager and advises on costs.
- Oversees and supports the VEE Coordinators in building community profiles, partnerships, practicum placements, and memberships to identify sourcing opportunities and reach target audiences. Ensures tracking mechanisms are in place to evaluate, update and adjust as needed.
- With the support of the VEE Senior Manager oversees and supports all facets of the CRC formal volunteer awards process that includes encouragement of nominations, communication, administrative duties, ensuring accuracy of award nomination documents, and liaising with program volunteer supervisors to ensure smooth operation of the process.
What we are looking for:
- The minimum qualifications for this position include post secondary education in volunteer management, social sciences, human resources, or community development with a minimum of three years experience, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Professionalism, credibility, and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within a team and establish and manage productive internal and external relationships.
- Innovation and personal accountability.
- Strong customer service orientation and planning, organization, priority setting and negotiation skills to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Demonstrated competency building, leading, and working collaboratively with teams including volunteer teams.
- Computer and numerical literacy, comfort working with data bases.
- Fluency (speaking, reading, and writing) in English is essential.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Work is mostly performed in an office environment or as part of a virtual team working remotely from home. Must have an appropriate workspace at home to conduct work without interruption and respecting confidentiality.
- Travel to conduct outreach activities and attend team and committee meetings.
- On occasion, may be required to work non-traditional hours; therefore, the ability to work on evenings and weekends will be required.
- Good internet connectivity is required.
- This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.