Associate Lawyer – Aboriginal Law
Victoria, BC, CA – Hybrid/Remote Employment Possible
DGW Law Corporation is located in the traditional territory of the Lekwungen peoples, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose historical relationships with the land and waters continue to this day. DGW Law Corporation also has a satellite office in W̱SÁNEĆ territory at Tsawout First Nation. DGW Law serves Indigenous communities in western Canada and in Canada’s north, providing a range of litigation, negotiation, and economic development legal services.
DGW Law is committed to the values of reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and broader social justice issues. We value honesty and pragmatism. We strive to nourish lasting relationships for Indigenous communities. We are committed to thriving legal professionals engaged in meaningful work.
Our firm is currently seeking a motivated Associate Lawyer to join us in supporting our Indigenous clients, primarily in the fields of economic development, specific claims and consultation with the Crown. This is an excellent opportunity to grow your practice; working with a team of experienced and friendly colleagues contributing to long overdue positive change for Indigenous communities.
- Provide high level legal services to Indigenous clients, starting with listening first.
- Work directly with clients to ensure that their community’s values, language, culture, practices, and traditions guide and inform the legal services provided.
- Work effectively with the senior lawyers of the firm and other members of the DGW team to deliver those services.
- Work with outside legal counsel in a respectful and collegial manner in common pursuit and support of Indigenous justice and reconciliation.
- LLB/JD with 3-7 years’ experience, preferably in Aboriginal law, business law, natural resource law
- Competency and knowledge of Crown consultation and accommodation, specific claims, and business law needs of Indigenous peoples
- Exceptional client management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to quickly establish trust and credibility with clients based on cultural humility
- Solid legal research and drafting skills, as well as experience building long term client and team relationships
- Keen interest in the practice of law as a business
- Membership in good standing with the Law Society of British Columbia (or other Canadian law societies)
- Ability to travel as needed, as Indigenous communities require legal professionals willing to go where they are.
Our firm recognizes diversity as a source of strength and celebrates inclusivity. We value every person as a unique individual, and we are committed to building a culture of equity and respect within our firm. We are honoured to receive applications from individuals of all genders, ages, ethnicities, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations, and life experiences.
We provide a competitive compensation and bonus structure, health & dental benefits, and RRSP matching, as well as offering hybrid and flexible working arrangements and an active social committee.
If you think you are the right fit for this opportunity, please send your CV in confidence to email@example.com.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Note that a written component of the interview will be part of the application process if your application is screened for review.