DIFFERENT BY DESIGN
Most professional services firms will tell you what they are, but at MNP, we’re most proud of what we’re not. MNP is not a firm with limits. Entrepreneurial in nature, your insight and ideas, the kind that has helped us to become one of the fastest growing firms in Canada, are welcomed, listened to and acted on. We reward results and support the direction you want to take your career. MNP is not a firm with empty promises. Our definition of balanced lifestyle means fostering an environment that lets you thrive at work and make the most of your life outside the office.
Ultimately, it’s what we’re ‘not’ that we’re most proud of, and we’re certain you’ll value this most as part of our team.
Join the momentum at MNP, as we are seeking a Controller for our growing Aboriginal Services team in our Courtenay location. Committed to preserving Aboriginal traditions and positioning them for success, MNP is a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm to Canada’s Aboriginal communities. With more than 250 Aboriginal clients across the country and 70 team members dedicated to this sector, no other firm has invested as much time and resources into serving the unique needs of Aboriginal communities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Manage all accounting operations including payroll, A/R, A/P, GL entries, cost coding allocations and revenue recognition
- Analyze everyday financial activities and provide advice and guidance to bookkeeping/technical team
- Undertake all aspects of financial management, including operational accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as development of internal control policies and procedures
- Manage and comply with funding agency and government reporting requirements
- Support client service representatives by coordinating and preparing monthly financials, budgets, forecasts and variance reports
- Resolve technical accounting issues and ensure quality control over financial transactions and reporting
- Support month-end and year-end close process; liaise with client auditors to ensure efficient and timely year-end completion
- Correspond with clients, leaders and department managers for finance information and support
- Understand clients’ operations and organization
- Execute accounting entries and cash flow management procedures when required
- Accounting experience working within First Nation Government is considered an asset
- Proven experience as a Controller, 5+ years of direct and related experience
- Advanced education in Accounting and Business (designation preferred)
- Possess thorough accounting knowledge, general ledger functions, project cost accounting and data entry controls and month-end/year-end close process
- Experience establishing budgets forecasts preparation and the development of internal control policies and procedures
- Advanced computer and software user
- Ability to prepare and explain financial reports to Operational Managers
- Strong track record of hiring and developing skills, mentoring and motivating staff
- Ability to work on multiple client profiles, see the big picture and know what information managers need
Core Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Integrity – professional whose honesty, integrity, confidentiality and high ethical standards contributes to effective leadership and optimal business relationships
- Energy – displays enthusiasm, optimism, and passion while maintaining a high level of productivity and a balanced lifestyle
- Diversity – understands the importance of different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences and is respectful of individual differences
- Communication – effectively expresses ideas and conveys information in business writing, conversations and interactions with others that make an impact and persuade their intended audience(s)
- Client Service Excellence – understands the importance of quality client service, proactively identifies client needs and creates strategies to proficiently serve clients
- Business Development – looks for and seizes profitable business opportunities while focusing on the ability to gain increased presence in the community
- Forward Thinking – anticipates the implications of situations, takes appropriate action as needed and prepares for possible contingencies
- Agility with Change – initiates, sponsors and implements change by taking a facilitative catalyst role
- People Management & Leadership – goal-driven leader who effectively manages self, others and teams to achieve goals
- Coaching – takes responsibility for one’s own and team members’ performance by setting clear goals and tracking progress against those goals, promptly addresses performance issues, is highly organized and uses personal judgment and decision making
- Teamwork & Relationship Development – works collaboratively with team members in order to achieve a common goal and develops, maintains and strengthens relationships with others, both inside and outside the Firm
- Accuracy – pays close attention to detail and ensures work and information are complete and thorough
MNP encourages a balanced lifestyle and offers benefits that suit the way our team members work and play! In addition to a competitive salary, our total rewards package includes paid personal days, wellness program initiatives, health and dental benefits, a group pension plan with matching contribution, firm-sponsored social events, and professional development assistance.
MNP proudly serves and responds to the needs of our clients in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors. Through partner-led engagements, we provide a collaborative, cost-effective approach to doing business, with innovative strategies to help organizations succeed across the country and around the world.
To find out more and apply online, go to www.MNPcareers.ca