Corporate Executive Officer
The Songhees Nation is an Indigenous Coast Salish Nation, whose people have been stewards of their traditional territories since time immemorial in what is now known as the Greater Victoria area of southeastern Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
The Songhees Nation has approximately 600 members, half of which reside on Songhees Reserve #1A. This reserve is 60 hectares of fully developed residential and commercial land located adjacent to the Township of Esquimalt and the Town of View Royal.
The Songhees community is comprised of five main families and several smaller families descended from the L n speaking signatories of the Douglas Treaties in 1850. Traditional governance is by consensus among extended family heads, guided by their families. Today, the community is still guided by consensus among families represented by advisory committees, focus groups and an elected Chief and Council. Referendums and ratification votes are held for important Community decisions.
Songhees Nation Value Statement:
Eyēʔ Sqȃ’lewen, with One Heart and One Mind, we commit to Help one another, to Forgive one another and to Love one another with Respect, Honesty, and Courage.
In a business context, these values are applied as we choose who to work with, how we work with one another and how we resolve challenges. In all business dealings, we are respectful, honest, and courageous. We choose partners who share our values. We build trust and establish long-term relationships. We resolve concerns directly and assume the best intentions of one another.
Songhees Development Corporation:
The Songhees Development Corporation (“SDC”) is an arm’s length corporation established and owned by the Songhees Nation. SDC owns several diversified companies, partnerships, and entrepreneurial organizations, all with the purpose of achieving the Songhees Nation’s economic objectives to operate profitable business ventures, generate surplus income, and create a supportive environment for entrepreneurs and employees within the Nation. Using best practices for business governance, SDC seeks alignment with Songhees Nation’s values and priorities.
The Corporation (continued)
Songhees Nation Economic Development Objectives:
- Songhees Nation generates surplus income to support community priorities and invest in the future
- The Nation owns and operates a variety of successful business ventures and invests in business partnerships
- Songhees Nation fosters a supportive environment for entrepreneurs and community-based business ventures
Songhees Events and Catering
Songhees Events and Catering is located in the Songhees Wellness Centre, a sought-after destination for board meetings, banquets, workshops, and conventions. The Catering side of the business has expanded with a new catering van purchased in 2019.
Songhees Events and Catering employs seven full-time, eight to ten part-time and an additional ten casual staff at peak season. The Songhees Seafood & Steam Truck is now transitioning to a destination outdoor eatery on Admiral’s Road.
The Corporation (continued)
Songhees Gallery Café
Located in the Songhees Wellness Centre, the Gallery Café is open Monday to Friday, 9 am to 4 pm, with an a la carte breakfast and lunch service, specialty coffee drinks and fresh pastries baked in-house. The Gallery features Arts and Crafts from local artists, Indigenous books and Songhees logo gear.
Songhees Tours Inc.
Songhees̓ Tours Inc. is set to operate cultural canoe tours and other tourism offerings in the heart of Lək̓ʷəŋən Territory. As pandemic restrictions are lifted and visitors return to Victoria, a sales kiosk will be located on the causeway, adjacent to the Indigenous Artist vendors. Canoe Tours will be marketed under the Explore Songhees Brand. Songhees Tours will operate a development program for guides and ambassadors and will seek partnerships with other tourism initiatives to maximize opportunities.
Songhees Nation Investment Corporation
Generating economic benefit through ownership, development or leasing of off-reserve properties located in Victoria, Esquimalt and Langford municipalities acquired through an Incremental Treaty Agreement. An additional two acres of property in Langford was acquired with financing from the First Nations Finance Authority.
Songhees Business Partnerships:
Salish Seaside RV Haven
Winner of the 2019 Business Partnership of the Year with the BC Achievement Foundation. Salish Seaside RV Haven is Western Canada’s premier Motor Home Park, located on a private peninsula right in the heart of Victoria’s waterfront harbour. Salish Seaside RV Haven is proudly owned and operated by Xhamasung Holdings LP, a Songhees & Esquimalt Nation partnership.
The park was a vision of the late Songhees Chief Robert Sam and the late Esquimalt Chief Andy Thomas, who worked with Transport Canada to negotiate the purchase of the land in 2005. The lands were leased to Westbay RV Park until 2017.
The Corporation (continued)
Salish Seaside RV Haven replaced Westbay Village RV Park with upgraded turf, asphalt roads, and concrete pads. A majority of the 36 sites are right on the water; all sites command spectacular views in all directions. Big rig friendly, with 30- & 50-amp power, free WIFI, and a brand-new amenities building featuring modern washrooms, showers, laundry room and a spectacular community room with a barbeque, decks, and fireplace.
Salish Sea Industrial Services Ltd.
Founded in 2012 by the late Chief Andrew Thomas of the Esquimalt First Nation, the late Chief Robert Sam of the Songhees Nation and Ian Maxwell of the Ralmax Group of Companies, Salish Sea has earned its reputation for reliability, quality, and on-time work. The Salish Sea is a proud Registered Aboriginal Business and a private tax-paying corporation specializing in pile driving and dredging.
Salish Sea provides skilled trades and general labour employment training and placement services for the Victoria BC industrial market area. Salish Sea Industrial Services was awarded Joint Venture Business of the Year at the 2014 BC Aboriginal Business Awards.
Matullia Holdings LP
Matullia was formed in 2011 to hold an option to purchase Rock Bay property. Matullia exercised the option in 2018. The company 116472 BC Ltd. was formed to hold an option to purchase BC Hydro lands at Rock Bay.
To learn more about Songhees Development Corporation, please visit: https://www.songheesdevco.com/home
To learn more about the Songhees Nation, please visit: https://www.songheesnation.ca/
Following the successful start-up and management of the company through the challenging pandemic, SDC is ready to bring in its second Corporate Executive Officer (“CEO”) to steer the company and its subsidiaries through the next stage of growth and expansion.
Reporting directly to the SDC Board, the CEO oversees all subsidiary organizations and partnerships. The CEO and the Board are ultimately accountable to the Songhees Nation. With oversight and guidance from the SDC Board, the CEO will revitalize and execute the strategic plans to achieve the profitable growth of SDC and its subsidiary companies and partnerships. Providing management and administrative support for the companies, the CEO acts as a mentor and guide for the companies’ diverse workforce. In addition, the CEO seeks new opportunities and investments to help achieve the Songhees Nation’s economic objectives.
- Develop the SDC Strategic Plan based on direction from the Board of Directors that is consistent with Songhees Nation values, interests, and expectations;
- Develop annual budgets and business plans in accordance with the Strategic Plan;
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of SDC and its Limited Partnerships and act as the Board’s formal link to SDC’s operational achievement and conduct;
- Identify and manage risks through effective internal controls and other risk mitigation methods;
- Hire business unit managers and corporate staff/contractors within an approved budget as determined by the SDC Board of Directors;
- Prepare feasibility studies for identified business opportunities and implement new businesses if feasible and consistent with the Strategic Plan;
- Report quarterly financial and operational performance, relevant trends, and major business risks to the SDC Board of Directors to keep the Board informed and prepared to undertake its work;
- Recommend amount of surplus cash and borrowing requirements and arranges borrowing to support the business plan as approved by the Board;
- Ensure SDC businesses meet all legal requirements and that business is conducted in a manner that is compliant with all corporate and operating policies set out by the Board;
- Provide input on negotiations related to economic development opportunities when requested;
- Seek legal, and/or Certified Professional Accountant and/or Certified Human Resources Professional and/or other professional advice at appropriate stages to ensure due diligence;
- Identify gaps in policies and develop solutions to be reviewed and approved by the SDC Board of Directors;
- Assign reporting requirements to business unit managers; and
- Support Songhees entrepreneurs through an open-door policy for mentoring, connecting them with advisory services, accessing financial support, and celebrating their entrepreneurial spirit.
SDC is looking for an experienced and dynamic executive who will lead Songhees Development Corporation and its subsidiaries through their profitable growth plans. Along with an MBA or equivalent formal education, the CEO will have demonstrated skills and several years of experience in:
- Recognizing and embracing Indigenous culture and values and how this must play into the operations of SDC;
- Leading rapid growth entrepreneurial organizations;
- Strategic planning and operational budgeting;
- Relevant financial management; and
- Managing, motivating and mentoring a diverse workforce.
The role is in the coastal community of Victoria, British Columbia – BC’s capital city and one of Canada’s most sought-after cities to live in. The city is tied closely to both land and sea and the many stories that lie within. Victoria is the 15th most populous Canadian metropolitan city, and its tight-knit, cozy feel is an attraction for people all over the world. From Indigenous history to Asian traditions and the landmarks, culture, cuisine, festivals, and vibrant atmosphere that come with them, Victoria is one of the world’s favourite destinations.
As the southernmost major city in Western Canada, Victoria is central to many other exciting destinations, including Vancouver, Seattle and Port Angeles, Washington. The surrounding area encompasses unceded traditional territories of the Songhees and Esquimalt; the Lekwungen Nations have territory from Cordova Bay to Albert Head.
Victoria is also known as the “Garden City” for its year-round warm temperatures and usually snow-free climate. Victoria offers a positive working experience, great accessibility, and a wide range of job opportunities. Add in a beautiful surrounding natural environment, warm summers, mild winters, and a high quality of life, and it’s no surprise people from around the world choose to call Victoria home.
For more details or to further explore this important strategic leadership opportunity, please contact:
|Laurie Sterritt • Partner
||Katy Gottfriedson • Consultant
To apply, please submit a PDF Cover Letter and Resume directly to Leaders International outlining your interest, qualifications, and experience.
Leaders International specializes in the recruitment of Board of Directors, leadership succession and executive level positions. Our global network, Penrhyn International, is a world leader in the executive recruitment industry, with more than 47 offices in over 25 countries on 5 continents.