Title: Medical Equipment Advanced Technician
Location: Courtenay (Comox Strathcona – Vancouver Island) BC, Canada
Employment status: Permanent, Part-Time
Salary band: $ 24,607 – $30,758 / year (based on 3 days per week)
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC), an iconic brand and one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet, is seeking a Medical Equipment Advanced Technician to join our BC HELP team.
You have a passion for helping others, and want to work with other dedicated individuals? By applying, you are taking a big first step to be part of an exciting organization.
At the Canadian Red Cross, we are guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience. Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons to apply, particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, racialized people, and people with diverse gender identities and sexual orientations, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
We are looking for a Medical Equipment Advanced Technician to support BC HELP program; you will work collaborating with the Medical Equipment Distribution Supervisor, support volunteers, and be responsible for the reprocessing, inspection, repair, and delivery of basic mobility and bathing equipment to other HELP sites. Additionally, the Medical Equipment Advanced Technician will deliver and install advanced medical equipment in client homes.
As a Medical Equipment Advanced Technician you will:
- Clean and disinfect health equipment, according to standards
- Inspect and troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and carry out repairs, following manufacturer’s specifications
- Document repairs and maintain up-to-date equipment records in the inventory management system
- Transport equipment between HELP sites and deliver, install, and pick up equipment from clients’ homes, as per established procedures
- Instruct clients and caregivers in the proper use and maintenance of equipment
What we are looking for:
- Completion of Grade 12 and some post-secondary education in a related field.
- 2 years of experience in working with hand and basic power tools; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Able to lift and carry up to 80lbs
- Demonstrated mechanical ability and able to troubleshoot problems of a technical nature (health equipment repair experience is an asset)
- Strong verbal communication skills; client service skills; and ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Commercial driving and delivery experience
- Successful completion of CPR/First Aid taken within past 2 years (or willing to take it within probationary period)
- Experience working with volunteers and diverse populations
- Work varies from warehouse to other HELP sites, client homes, and Assisted Living facilities
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods and safely operate a vehicle for deliveries, which can be up to 75% of the day.
- A valid BC Class 5 Driver’s Licence
- May be required to work out of other HELP locations
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- A satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC) is required for all positions.
- Full vaccination against COVID-19 is mandatory for this position and operation (the CRC will however adhere to its duty to accommodate those who are unable to be fully vaccinated for a reason related to a human right protected ground)
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.