Senior Communications Manager Draft
Reporting to the Director, Public Affairs, the Senior Communications Manager manages the creation of all internal and external communications, ensuring its message is consistent and engaging for the targeted audience.
As an experienced and knowledgeable professional in the field, the Communications Manager is keen to contribute to change while developing and implanting FMB’s national communication strategy.
- Leads the development of the communications strategy for FMB, including implementation and evaluation to measure the effectiveness of the strategy;
- Leads the development of all corporate communications materials and acts as key point of contact for external partners to support CEO and executive team;
- Authors external communications, including annual reports, press releases, newsletters, success stories, event programs and scripts, and comment letters;
- Conducts interviews with key stakeholders and communicates their impact through stories and videos;
- Develops targeted outreach to stakeholders regarding Indigenous specific communications;
- Directs and supervises the Communication & Media Coordinator and Speech & Technical Writer to ensure completion of responsibilities and projects;
- Builds and maintains strong community and public relations by attending various events; acting as the spokesperson and trusted liaison for collaboration;
- Oversees all internal and external messaging in a concise and easy to understand for the targeted audience (plain language);
- Accountable for the annual budget for the corporate communication function; maintaining quarterly budget reports to ensure communications targets align with vision and mission of the organization;
- Maintains awareness of external partners/business environment and industry news;
- Manages all media relations for the organization, such as responding to media inquiries, issuing media advisories, press releases, organizing press/media events, and pitches proactive coverage;
- Oversees the management of all marketing materials including presentation kits, direct mail, print and web advertising, newsletters, articles, blogs, e-mail campaigns, and internal marketing messages;
- Oversees the management of the organization’s social media channels, including content development monitoring, issues management and analytics;
- Manages timelines and deliveries of projects;
- Serves as an internal thought leader in identifying industry trends and innovation in employee communications;
- Ensures SLT events are leveraged internally and externally to build brand awareness, enhance reputation, and engage employees;
- Engages with business lines, key stakeholders, and organizations externally to align activities and maximize benefits FMB;
- Developing and implementing strategic communications plans, including identifying target audiences, and determining their needs;
- Oversees all public relations activities such as brochures, press releases, web content, advertising campaigns, and events;
- Monitor the environment, including liaising with other Indigenous and federal organizations, to anticipate and advise on communications and engagement issues as they arise.
The Senior Communications Manager performs other duties and responsibilities as may be reasonably assigned.
- Bachelors’ degree in, Communications, Public Affairs. English. Journalism, or relevant field;
- 7+ years’ experience as a communications manager, copywriter, or Public Affairs Manager;
- 3+ years’ experience in a senior role, managing a team;
- Experience working with Indigenous Governments, organizations and communities considered a strong asset;
- Experience in developing and executing strategic communications plans;
- Experience with an internal or corporate communications team;
- Exceptional relationship building skills;
- Demonstrated effective writing skills, content development and editing skills;
- Strong understanding of our audience; ability to utilize key demographics to target communications efforts;
- Demonstrated strong understanding of digital and social channels;
- Knowledge of continuous improvement practices and makes recommendations for process improvements;
- Working knowledge and experience preparing budgets;
- Effective working skills of Microsoft Suite and Adobe Products;
- Experience planning, coordinating, and managing public events for senior executives or ministers;
- Experience providing strategic advice to senior management on public opinion research or consultations and public engagement;
- Experience managing staff, including performance management and delegation of duties;
- Experience writing communications products, such as, but not limited to: news releases, key messages, communications plans/strategies/approaches, marketing plans, email messages, social media posts, videos, graphics, web content, media call responses, communications implications, speeches, and/or internal messages to staff.
- Excellent communicator with a strong command of written and spoken English; French language skills considered an asset.
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- This position is based in West Vancouver, British Columbia, or Ottawa, ON; hybrid work may be considered.
- Requires occasional national travel.