Senior Manager FCC Risk & Strategy EWRA : 00008IMM
Employment Type: Regular
To lead the regional (Canada) execution of global risk management standards and to identify, report, and oversee the remediation of risks and issues. These standards include but are not limited to:
- FCC Enterprise-wide Risk Assessment (EWRA): Under the leadership of the Head of FCC R&S, coordinates the annual EWRA process in terms of being the FCC local/regional (Canada) subject matter expert. Ensures that all relevant stakeholders are engaged and informed and that the project progresses according to plan.
Assesses the level of inherent anti-money laundering and Sanctions, and bribery & corruption risk, the adequacy of the control environment, and the calculation of residual unmitigated risk across all countries and lines of business in the region.
Works towards achieving BAU activities around EWRA including working with the business to ensure RCAs are aligned to EWRA, action tracking and monitoring, conducting workshops with the business to ensure that they understand the implications of the EWRA reports and are taking the required near term actions.
Impact on the Business
- Leads the annual execution of the EWRA for the region (Canada) up to and including delivery of the Canada Country report and input to the Global EWRA reports.
- Performs oversight to ensure the EWRA is applied consistently across all businesses in terms of methodology, data collection and analysis, and report design
- Performs a quality control of the EWRA results and challenges responses as required
- Leads the analysis of EWRA data, identification of drivers behind results, and preparation of periodic reports on progress for the Regional Head of FCC and the Head of FCC Risk & Strategy (Canada)
- Reports EWRA results and progress on actions to senior regional management in FCC and the global business lines
- Ensures all necessary regional governance requirements are met related to the EWRA
- Oversees the implementation and, as needed, participates in the validation of compliance risk models (as it relates to EWRA)
- Partners with stakeholders in FCC and the global business lines to ensure weaknesses identified through the EWRA have actions in place to sufficiently address the issues
Customers / Stakeholders
- Partners with FCC stakeholders to assess, analyze, and report FCC risks in particular those arising from EWRA.
- Develops reporting and communicates results and trends to senior management.
- Liaises with all lines of defense, as appropriate.
- Partners with other risk areas, including Risk Strategy and Operational Risk & Internal Control
- Assist in an extensive program of work implemented through the Global Standards program which will consolidate all policies and standards across the LoBs into a globally consistent FCC Model
Leadership & Teamwork
- Ensures team’s goals, objectives, and initiatives are achieved
- Oversees the execution of the strategy, standards, analysis and reporting
- Establishes a strong risk governance model
- Provides advice and guidance to FCC stakeholders and other lines of defense, as necessary
- Contributes to an effective team through communication, initiative / being pro-active, cooperation, ownership and identification of improvements.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Maintains awareness of major regulatory changes affecting compliance risk relative to assigned business (es); ensures appropriate communication and development of appropriate policy/procedure changes to remain compliant.
- Implements the Risk Strategy framework.
- Develops a strong operating model that leverages skills and abilities provided by other teams within FCC and Risk
- Reports and escalates significant compliance risks
- Maintains a current knowledge of industry compliance initiatives pertaining to areas of responsibility and best practices.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions, bribery & corruption, and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Contributes to a compliant/high morale FCC department in light of the increasingly and heavily regulated environment and corresponding demands on the personnel.
- Helps to ensure future business growth is attained in a responsible and conscientious fashion while the operation remains compliant from a regulatory perspective and commercially sound.
- Serves the needs of Group initiatives while respecting local country laws, regulations, and practices
- Supports business initiatives without compromising standards of compliance risk and internal control.
- Adapts the compliance risk and control approach according to latest developments.
- Emerging markets and/or rapid growth in the business and / or constant changes in regulatory requirements that pose a compliance risk challenge. Ability to quickly analyze complex situations, influence strategies with practical, effective, and commercial solutions through a comprehensive assessment if the compliance risks are perceived to be too high. Aid in the mitigation of compliance risk by using a wide knowledge earned from different competitive environments, industries and experience
- Ensuring that businesses and functions are providing all relevant MI in order to judge the quality, completeness and relevance of the MI to monitor the risks.
- Recognizes potential risk areas and solutions are delivered in a concise and appropriate report and in a timely manner.
- Requires close working relationship with all FCC stakeholders (e.g. Regulatory Affairs and Policy, AML, Sanctions, AB&C, MI&DG, BRCM, CMAT etc.) as well as Operational Risk and the broader Risk function.
- Contributes to maintaining an excellent relationship with the Regulators and industry bodies in respect of Compliance Risk
- Possesses good knowledge on banking regulations, operations, audit and control concepts in order to develop a set of effective standard guidelines that can be implemented. In addition highly organized and to act independently and exercise discretion with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Implements compliance risk strategy identifying weaknesses that pose significant impacts on businesses in meeting their strategic objectives
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF), sanctions, and bribery & corruption compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring.
- Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with relevant FCC stakeholders globally, regionally and locally. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- Wide scope of knowledge of all Bank businesses and support units including products, operations, systems, and organization and understanding of FCC regulatory compliance requirements applicable to the businesses.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp complex processes and concepts and make decisions and/or comprehensive recommendations across a broad range of subject matter.
- Ability to influence others through use of compelling facts, thought-provoking discussion and logic and use diplomacy and tact to resolve differing views.
- Ability to “connect the dots” and critically analyze situations, recommend effective solutions to problems and identify or anticipate regulatory concerns.
- Demonstrates ownership of topics and actively protects HSBC’s reputation.
- Works well across diverse teams of individuals and is willing to assist others as needed.
- Experience in process design and improvement initiatives.
- Experience in compliance risk assessments, metrics, monitoring, and testing.
- Working knowledge of the International Basel Accord, and other related banking and consumer legislation
- Working knowledge of business/function supported as well as pertinent compliance risk policies and regulations.
- Exposure to an operations and a control environment, such as audit or operational risk.
- Strong analytical, planning, problem-solving, communications, financial, technical, interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Strong writing skills; past experience creating documents/papers/proposals and compliance reports and/or reporting on compliance matters an asset.
- Understanding of Compliance systems is preferred.
Job Field : Risk Management
Primary Location : North America-Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job
Type of Vacancy : Country vacancy
Job Posting : 16-Dec-2016, 17:00:10 Unposting Date : 10-Jan-2017, 23:59:00