Senior Product Manager II – Foreign Exchange : 00008CY6
Employment Type: Regular
The proposed role will be responsible for the FX products including GetRate and Flexrate sold to businesses in Canada. The product manager will be responsible to ensure alignment to global/group strategy, meet product governance requirements, grow the revenue and client base and develop a long strategy for the local offering. The incumbent will work closely with regional product executives to execute and commercialize product strategy.
In our current environment, the Global Liquidity and Cash Management operating model is regional and aligned with our Global governance structure.
Impact on the Business
- Provide overall global oversight to formulate short and long-term product strategies leveraging regional Product execs to provide insight and clarity of regional and local customer needs and the regulatory environment.
- Define and drive global innovation.
- Align and prioritize IT Investment requirements during the AOP planning process, particularly with the global programs.
- Attract talented resources and utilize effectively but indirectly regional resources where required.
- Drive global management for product rationalization.
- Drive improvements in business profitability through the implementation of standardized metric based management process covering all aspects of product performance including cost accounting and risk management.
- Develop and drive specific commercialization activities creating tools to support sales and client service teams in educating and marketing of our global product capabilities.
- Provide a consistent global approach to implementing tariffs.
- Develop and execute a global product-centric market analysis to determine longer term product strategies affecting client buying behavior, competitors, and to anticipate shifts in the market.
Customers / Stakeholders
- Driving effective interaction across organizational boundaries, including sales, client services, marketing, operations, IT, Legal, and Compliance to deliver optimized customer experiences.
- Develop and maintain good contact with the external PCM market, e.g., partner organizations, industry associations, customers, competitors, regulators etc. to ensure that our strategy remains relevant and effective.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Define and deliver product planning discipline and infrastructure – gaining buy-in from senior product managers across the region
- Product management related collateral produced and managed directly or indirectly which adapts to a complex environment in constant evolution
- Manage regional product management executives across several geographies to execute our product programs in support of our client groups.
- Act as focal point for department’s product plans and communications
- Embrace and instill continuous improvement methodology
- Embrace and instill a culture of customer facing entrepreneurship
- Making recommendations to, obtaining input from, and validating with Product Management Senior Management and relevant stakeholders
- Lead and manage team to deliver a superior service, the Group strategy and business objectives
- Represent the interest of team at steering committees and working groups
- Support new and existing colleagues promoting and contributing to an engagement culture.
- Be ultimately responsible for the performance management of your team, using relevant performance management tools, ensuring timely action is taken to improve underperformance, to maximize effectiveness of the team.
- Ensure development activities are a core priority and enable all team members to take reasonable time for learning and developmental activities.
- Ensure the team is resourced to headcount plan, sufficient to meet the demands and opportunities of the business.
- Develop appropriate retention strategies within the team’s cost plan.
- Manage succession for key roles using internal and selective hires where appropriate.
- Act as an ambassador for the team and contribute fully to its development, effectiveness and success
- Live the Group values
- Lead and develop an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Create a Global Product organization which will encompass Program Management functions to consolidate activities and tasks which distract product managers from their primary responsibility of managing their product portfolios, creating product extensions and developing new products outside of global programs.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- The key challenges relate to scale and the global nature of the role. The role will demand effective communication and coordination among a broad array of internal and external stakeholders. Effective stakeholder management across a broad array of internal and external constituencies (e.g. customers, regulators, competitors, vendors, alliance partners, IT, Operations, Compliance, Tax, Legal, Finance etc) is central to the role. Given the complexity of the business, the marketplace, and the HSBC Group inclusive of client segments as a whole, stakeholder management and effective leadership is essential to the role and will often present new challenges to the job holder.
- Effective understanding of the business dynamics and the cost of capital when making investment decisions is a core attribute of the role. Consideration of relative merits of alternative investment options across the Group or externally to support product & business development is an important characteristic of the role The ability to exercise astute commercial judgment and evaluate investment opportunities while taking into account the constantly changing internal and external operating environments is and will be an ongoing challenging facet of the role.
- A multitude of variables that have a direct bearing on the role include; rapidly changing market conditions in a very competitive environment, sophisticated and evolving nature of clients’ businesses and technology, interest rate volatility, pricing compression, exiting or lowering lines of credit, the introduction of disruptive technologies, regulatory and accounting changes driving new or enhanced legal documentation and finally nontraditional competitors creates an ever changing landscape of threats and opportunities which the job holder will be required to meet head on and deal with effectively. Driving execution and commercialization is therefore not straightforward and requires prompt and astute business leadership by the job holder.
- PCM serves as a core provider of Cash Management services to the Group’s Global Banking and Commercial Banking customers. PCM operates in an environment with heavy competition, tightening regulations and increasing customer demands.
- Payments and Cash Management is a major product group for HSBC, generating over 10% of Group revenues. The success of this business is strongly dependent on the development, execution and commercialization of the suite of cash management products. Global Product Management in this context encompasses:
- Global Product Strategy Design with primacy for P&L
- Align IT Investment & Prioritization for Global Programs with Regional Oversight
- Pricing Strategy, commercialization and marketing of Global Platforms with Regional oversight.
- Oversight for Product Governance, Product Risk Mitigation and Product Fraud Prevention.
- This role operates within a highly competitive cash management industry with primary competitors being JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, Standard Chartered and Deutsche Bank. Large domestic and regional banks are also key competitors (DBS, Wells, ICBC, ICICI et al). Key characteristics of the cash management market include a range of clients which include the: highly sophisticated clients with complex requirements within the GB&M or upper MME segment to clients who require basic cash management services in the business banking segment. Specifically, product management must deal effectively with pricing compression, interest rate volatility, changing regulatory environments, tax and legal or accounting changes plus the ever increasing use of advancing technology by clients or competitors. Technology advances can be disruptive as they may provide both opportunities and threats. As a consequence, extending and or maintaining product leadership in the market is a constant and evolving challenge and is a principal requirement of the role.
- The role requires the incumbent to have visionary thinking to identify and exploit emerging and future market trends to the commercial benefit of the business and the customer groups it serves. The position plays an instrumental role in driving change and innovation that requires the incumbent to adopt a flexible yet resolute approach to removing hurdles to create and execute breakthrough strategies to benefit our customers and our shareholders.
- The incumbent should demonstrate clear and effective leadership from the outset, and to be able to create a cohesive team, both direct and functional, from several different business disciplines.
- Aligning with Group strategy, creating synergy with other country/regional teams, the role requires interaction with numerous entities on a Global basis in way that creates confidence and buy-in but sets clear unambiguous direction. Strong management will be essential. Other characteristics of the role which are essential and include; experience, collaboration, influence, a desire and an appetite to challenge and effect change.
- The major points of interaction will be:
- GHQ executives and the Regional PCM organizations in Asia, North America, LATAM, Europe & Middle East specifically Region Execs, Product Management Execs, Sales Execs, Client Service Execs etc.
- Relationship Managers and Global Relationship Managers worldwide as appropriate
- Regional/functional CTSOs
- Global E-channel executive and operations (Direct Services, Vancouver)
- Regional and Global Service Delivery Centres of Excellence
- Regional and Global IT organizations
- Regional and Global e-channel teams
- Compliance, Credit, Balance Sheet Management, Legal, and Tax
- Regulators as appropriate
- Vendors as appropriate
- The incumbent will work as part of the Global PCM executive management team.
Management of Risk
- Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The jobholder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organization.
- The jobholder will also continually reassess the operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- This will be achieved by ensuring all actions take account of the likelihood of operational risk occurring. Also by addressing any areas of concern in conjunction with line management and/or the appropriate department
- The role holder is not permitted to undertake judgmental risk assessment.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will also adhere to and be able to demonstrate adherence to internal controls. This will be achieved by adherence to all relevant procedures, keeping appropriate records and, where appropriate, by the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, including issues raised by external regulators.
- The jobholder will implement the Group compliance policy by containing compliance risk in liaison with Global Head of Compliance, Global Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer. The term ‘compliance’ embraces all relevant financial services laws, rules and codes with which the business has to comply.
- This will be achieved by adhering to all relevant processes/procedures and by liaising with Compliance department about new business initiatives at the earliest opportunity. Also and when applicable, by ensuring adequate resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
- Education to degree-level, and proven and progressive experience in product management, operations or technology.
- At least 6-8 years of experience in commercial and business management either in product management, operations or IT with marketing a plus.
- Strong experience managing cross-functional or design teams.
- Proven leadership skills in complex, matrixes organizations – leading through influence and direct authority across teams and in a global organization.
- Experience in FX and preferably correspondent banking and or international payments
- Preferably experienced in one or more Payments and Cash Management core business lines.
- Proven ability to create an environment that fosters learning, teaching, growth, risk-taking, and innovation.
- Solid understanding of digital and/or self-service platforms.
- Strong background in product development.
- Familiar with current and future industry trends relating to product development and transaction banking
- Strong communication and presentation skills and the ability to effectively work with multiple business partners to develop and commercialize product propositions.
- Outstanding analytical skills and attention to detail.
Job Field : Project Management
Primary Location : North America-Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job
Type of Vacancy : Country vacancy
Job Posting : 15-Dec-2016, 11:21:00 Unposting Date : 25-Dec-2016, 23:59:00