Scientific/Technical Off R24
We currently have a temporary vacancy until January 10th, 2020 which could become permanent.
This posting is to establish an eligibility list for similar future permanent and/or temporary vacancies within BC Timber Sales.
Applicants who do not fully meet the required qualifications may be considered for this position, but at a lower classification.
An opportunity to contribute your valued expertise
BC Timber Sales (BCTS) manages about 20 per cent of the province’s allowable annual cut for Crown timber, generating economic prosperity for British Columbians through the safe, sustainable development and auction of Crown timber. BCTS operates in 33 communities and directly supports over 8,000 jobs across B.C.
Data from our operations are used to help determine the market value of the timber harvested from public land and ensures British Columbians receive fair value from their timber resources.
BCTS also supports government’s commitment to true, lasting reconciliation with First Nations in BC as we move toward fully adopting and implementing the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
The goal of BCTS is to provide credible representative price and cost benchmark data for the market pricing system through auctions of timber harvested from public land in BC. BCTS has three objectives supporting its goal:
- Objective 1: Sell the full BCTS apportionment over the business cycle, consistent with safe practices, sustainable forest management, and reconciliation with Indigenous peoples.
- Objective 2: Generate direct net revenue and indirect revenue for the Province over the business cycle.
- Objective 3: Continuous business improvement – within BCTS, across government and with third parties.
To find out more about our program check out the BCTS website
In this position you will provide specialist advice to senior ministry decision makers, and to technical and professional staff in the ministry, sector or industry on the use and interpretation of corporate dataset(s). To maximize the potential of all corporate data and information technologies to support the business objectives of the program and its clients.
The BC Public Service is committed to creating a diverse workplace to represent the population we serve and to better meet the needs of our citizens. Consider joining our team and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
In addition to this exciting opportunity and amazing locations, the BC Public Service is an award-winning employer in British Columbia, including such accolades as being one of BC’s Top Employers for 2016, one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2016 and one of Canada’s Top Family-Friendly Employers in 2016. The BC Public Service offers a healthy work/life balance, excellent benefits, including one of the best pension plans available, and a variety of opportunities for career learning and development. To find out more, explore What the BC Public Service offers You.
A career path in BC Timber Sales offers exceptional opportunities to develop new solutions to complex problems, and to learn and grow personally and professionally. Existing and future BCTS employees have the opportunity to impact public and private forests, communities, the economy and the lives of British Columbians in positive and unique ways.
The BC Public Service is an inclusive and accessible employer. Please advise the hiring manager if any accommodations are required to assist you to ensure equitable participation.
Within this position the applicant portfolio will support NGSC BAs addressing data integrity issues and implementing DQMS (tabular and spatial) for TPG and TPL, while still providing for TPG BA operational needs. While this position will report to NGSC GIS TL, it will work closely with BIS Data Manager, Data Stewardship Working Group and other Provincial teams to develop new reports and address identified data gaps.
For complete details about this opportunity, including accountabilities, requirements and qualifications, please refer to the attached job profile. For specific position related enquiries, please contact Zeka.Zejnulahovic@gov.bc.ca. DO NOT SEND YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS. For more information about how to complete your job application, add/edit your resume and for more useful tips when applying for jobs, please refer to the Your Job Application page on the MyHR website.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on the closing date of the competition.
In order to be considered for this position, your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet the education, experience and professional designation requirements as outlined below:
- Degree or diploma in, computer science, geomatics, resource management or related area and minimum of two years of experience working with BCTS spatial and tabular data.
- Experience operating spatial datasets in excess of 100.000 records
- Experience using Microsoft Office tools (MS Access, Excel, Power BI), relational databases and other business intelligence tools for managing, quality assuring, data mining (analysing) and reporting.
- Experience designing, gathering and testing business requirements, complex queries and report designs.
- Work experience developing reporting methodologies and performing custom data and/or geo-spatial modelling, complex analyses and interpretations.
- Preference may be given for experience in client service including prioritizing, troubleshooting and resolving client data and reporting issues.
- Preference may be given to applicants with experience working with ArcGIS tools
- Preference may be given to applicants with additional experience working with Relational Database Management Systems and multiuser geodatabases outside of BCTS
- Preference may be given to applicants with experience in BC forestry practices, legislation and regulations, including the role of BC Timber Sales.
- Preference may be given to applicants with 3 – 5 years of experience working with BCTS spatial and tabular data.
- A Class 5 BC Driver’s License, or equivalent is required.
- Travel NGSC BAs is required for this position.
- This position will have to work from BCTS suitable office.
Applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process may be assessed on the Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies as outlined in the attached Job Profile located in the Additional Information section at the bottom of the posting.
A Criminal Record Check (CRC) will be required.
Cover letter required: NO – Please do not submit a cover letter as it will not be reviewed. Please select “SKIP” on the cover letter screen to continue with your application.
Resume: YES – Ensure your resume includes your educational accomplishments, employment history including start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and any relevant information that relates to the job to which you are applying.
Questionnaire – YES (COMPREHENSIVE) As part of the application process, you will be prompted to complete a comprehensive online questionnaire to demonstrate how you meet the job requirements. Please allot approximately 60 minutes to complete the questionnaire.
IMPORTANT: Comprehensive questionnaire responses will be used to shortlist applicants against the job requirements. Please ensure you include all relevant information about your educational accomplishments and employment history including job titles, start and end dates (month and year) of your employment, and your accountabilities and accomplishments.