Advisory to the Residents of Lax Kw’alaams COVID-19 – Advisory #16
TRANSPORTATION CORRIDOR Prince Rupert to Lax Kw’alaams ONLY
The Emergency Measures Committee (EMC) met on November 19th to discuss new travel restrictions.
As many of you know, Kitimat has experienced an outbreak of 14 confirmed cases of COVID. Many more have been ordered to self-isolate. Figures vary but we have heard as many as 32 people have gone into isolation for 14 days.
Just after we heard of the outbreak, Dr. Henry announced the following:
- Mandatory masks in indoor public and retail spaces.
- All Community and social events suspended for the next two weeks.
- Employees in the workplace are encouraged to wear masks.
What does this mean for us? Let’s keep it simple:
- Yes, members can go in and out of Prince Rupert but PLEASE, do not go to Terrace or beyond. PLEASE. We have to use the honour system. This is too dangerous to play games. The corridor is now Lax Kw’alaams to Prince Rupert only, and only Band members and approved contractor will be allowed in and out.
- Those currently in Terrace attending this weekend’s funeral, and those currently in Terrace, Smithers, and Prince George will be allowed to return home but please, use your masks in the community. If you are currently caught outside Lax Kw’alaams you do not have to isolate, but get back in when you can and wear a mask.
- All patient travel is still in effect but if you go outside the Lax Kw’alaams – Prince Rupert corridor, you will need to isolate. This is effective immediately.
- If you go to Prince Rupert, wear a mask. On the ferry, wear a mask. Be careful.
We urge members to be prepared for the next step, should it be required. Many of you already have extra groceries but if not, get ready should we have to shut down the community.
We also urge you to use hand sanitizer and gloves. The situation is escalating. We do not wish to alarm you but if we all cooperate, we can protect one another.