B.C. COVID-19 pandemic update
VICTORIA – As of Monday, Oct. 18, 2021, 89.2% (4,133,755) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.4% (3,865,096) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.6% (3,877,031) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 84.1% (3,635,581) received their second dose.
Over a three-day period, B.C. is reporting 1,846 new cases of COVID-19, including six epi-linked cases, for a total of 198,278 cases in the province:
- Oct. 15-16: 753 new cases
- Oct. 16-17: 650 new cases
- Oct. 17-18: 443 new cases
Note: Two previously reported cases have been removed and one was added due to a data correction in the overall number of total cases.
There are currently 4,917 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 190,918 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 360 individuals are currently in hospital and 151 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 737 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 2,039
- 212 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- 322 new cases in Interior Health
- 406 new cases in Northern Health
- 169 new cases in Island Health
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
In the past 72 hours, 26 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,081.
The new deaths include:
- Fraser Health: 10
- Vancouver Coastal Health: three
- Interior Health: five
- Northern Health: five
- Island Health: three
There have been four new health-care facility outbreaks: at Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village, Menno Terrace West (Fraser Health) and Amica Lions Gate (Vancouver Coastal Health). The outbreak at Joseph Creek Care Village (Interior Health) has been declared over, for a total of 22 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum, Queens Park Care Centre, Heritage Village (Fraser Health);
- Amica Lions Gate (Vancouver Coastal Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Centre, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health); and
- Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
- University Hospital of Northern British Columbia, G.R. Baker Memorial Hospital (Northern Health); and
- Tofino General Hospital (Island Health).
- assisted or independent living:
- Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor, Menno Terrace West (Fraser Health); and
- Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
From Oct. 8-14, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 68.3% of cases and from Oct. 1-14, they accounted for 74.6% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 8-14) – Total 3,914
- Not vaccinated: 2,420 (61.8%)
- Partially vaccinated: 255 (6.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,239 (31.7%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Oct. 1-14) – Total 465
- Not vaccinated: 320 (68.8%)
- Partially vaccinated: 27 (5.8%)
- Fully vaccinated: 118 (25.4%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 8-14)
- Not vaccinated: 268
- Partially vaccinated: 74.2
- Fully vaccinated: 29.4
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 1-14)
- Not vaccinated: 53.4
- Partially vaccinated: 11.8
- Fully vaccinated: 2.7
Since December 2020, the province has administered 8,060,794 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For new regional restrictions in the Northern Health region, visit: http://news.gov.bc.ca/stories/additional-health-measures-introduced-to-stop-covid-spread-and-protect-health-services-for-most-of-n
For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care
workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BCCDC weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data or: www.bccdc.ca
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register or https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/dose-2
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/current-health-topics/covid-19-novel-coronavirus
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/ or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
Ministry of Health
250 952-1887 (media line)
Connect with the Province of B.C. at: news.gov.bc.ca/connect